Dental health and a sensational smile depend on much more than simply brushing regularly. In this post from dentist Karen E Williamson D.D.S., P.A in Rockwall TX, we present a quick refresher on essential lifestyle practices that affect oral health.
You are probably familiar with most of these recommendations, but it is helpful to get a reminder once in a while. We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. After all, the two are inseparable.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that attack enamel.
- Brush gently but meticulously at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Make sure you clean thoroughly between teeth with dental floss or interdental cleaners such as flossing picks.
- If you have children, communicate with your Rockwall dentist about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
- Have a dental examination twice yearly with your Rockwall dentist.
- Eat a sugar frequently. Sugar triggers the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel.
- Snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to constant bombardment with acids.
- Chew on ice.
- Use your teeth as tools. Ever.
- Drink energy drinks.
- Get oral piercings.
- Ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
If you have oral pain or haven’t visited a dentist in a while, call Karen E Williamson D.D.S., P.A. in Rockwall TX for an appointment. Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry. Schedule your next checkup today!
Contact Karen E Williamson D.D.S., P.A:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):