This post from Karen E. Williamson DDS PA in Rockwall covers five things you should know about dentures.
1. Dentures are not the only replacement choice for missing teeth. Dental implants used alone or in combination with a partial denture is often a better option for patients. Whereas a removable appliance replaces only the visible parts of teeth, an implant replaces both the root and crown of a tooth. This has important implications. Dental implants can prohibit bone recession that typically occurs following tooth extractions. Dental implants can deliver patients the near-normal ability to chew and speak.
2. There are more than one type of denture. Most individuals are familiar with the removable denture that replaces a complete upper or lower arch. There are also partial dentures that are used for patients who have some existing teeth. Partial dentures can be fixed in the mouth or detachable.
3. Even if you have worn dentures for a while, you may be a suitable candidate for implant-anchored dentures. The vital factor is whether or not you have enough bone to support an implant. Bone grafting can augment natural bone for some implant patients. Schedule an appointment with dentist Karen Williamson to find out if you are a good candidate.
4. Regardless of your tooth replacement configuration—full dentures, partial dentures, or tooth implants—you still need to practice correct oral hygiene. Removable appliances should be cleaned daily.
5. Even if you have no natural teeth left, it’s essential that you have biannual dental examination. Optimal oral health is a fundamental component of overall physical well-being. We will examine your mouth for indications of diseases like cancer, heart disease, kidney disease, and diabetes. It is also a good idea for your dentist to examine the condition of your appliance at your visit.
At Karen E. Williamson DDS PA in Rockwall we have placed a lot of dental implants. People from Rockwall, Royse City, Backland, Heath, and Fate come to our office for implants and other restorative dentistry. Call to schedule an appointment today!
Contact Karen E Williamson D.D.S., P.A:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
560 W Ralph Hall Pkwy, Rockwall, TX